The Naming of Brookview

The City of Edmonton named our community Bulyea Heights.  As with many communities, the developers felt that a name like Brookview would sell more houses.  We are therefore left with two names.  Bulyea Heights is however our official name.

 

 

bulyea

The Honourable George H. V. Bulyea, 1905-15
From the painting by V.A. Long

The Honorable George Hedley Vicars Bulyea, First Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta.

GHV Bulyea was born in New Brunswick in 1859, the son of prosperous farmers of that Province.  He attended grammar school in Gagetown followed by a “scholastic education” at the University of New Brunswick.  He graduated in 1878 with a B.A. degree, at the head of his class and with first honors in mathematics and French language.  Upon graduation he worked as a grammar school teacher in New Brunswick.  In 1883 he moved to Qu’Appelle, Assiniboia (now referred to as  Saskatchewan) and became a dealer of furniture, flour, and feed.  In 1894 GHV Bulyea was elected to the North West Council where it is noted that “his services were highly appreciated”. Four years later he was appointed the Administrator of Territorial Affairs in the Yukon.  He was later appointed Minister of Agriculture followed by Minister of Public Works for the Northwest Territories.  When the time came for the creation of a new province it was felt that GHV Bulyea was the right person to start the Province of Alberta on safe ground.  On September 1, 1905, in the City of Edmonton, a 21 gun salute was fired, the oath was read, Mr. Bulyea kissed the bible and the Province of Alberta was born.  In October 1910, Mr. Bulyea was re-appointed Lieutenant-Governor for a second term.  At the completion of his second term as Lieutenant-Governor, he continued his career in politics in the position of Chairman of the Board of Public Utilities.

 

The History of Alberta, Volume 1 describes GHV Bulyea as “a man of distinction in political, business and social circles”.  John Blue, author of Alberta, Past & Present, described Bulyea as “a man who displays integrity, single-mindedness of purpose and executive force....in handling public problems he looks beyond the exigencies of the moment to the opportunities and possibilities of the future and his course has received wide commendation throughout the province”.

 

Mr Bulyea was a member of the Edmonton Club and the Edmonton Golf & Country Club.  His religion was Baptist.  Although his chief sources of recreation were traveling and driving (horses), his identification with public affairs formed the chief interest of his life.

 

Upon retiring from politics Mr. & Mrs. Bulyea moved to Peachland, B.C.  The honorable GHV. Bulyea died in July of 1928 at the age 69 years.

 

We acknowledge with great respect the dedication that GHV Bulyea had to our province and for that reason Bulyea Heights, Bulyea Road, and GHV Bulyea Park have been named after him.

 

Thanks to the City of Edmonton Archives for the information and photo included in this article.

Buchanan

Buchanan Close, Place, Road and Way are all named after two men. John Alexander Buchanan (1887-1970) was a long time Edmontonian and a senator and James McIntyre Buchanan (1884-1930?) who was a pioneer boat builder.

Burgess

Burgess Close was named after Cecil Scott Burgess (1870-1971). He was a member of the Edmonton Town Planning Commission from 1929-1949.

Burley

Burley Close and Drive are named after Edward Windham Burley. Born in 1856, he was the first provincial auditor of Alberta.

Burns

Burns Close is named after Dr. Praticia Burns, born in 1920. She was a recognized expert in the treatment of breast cancer, working at the Cross Cancer Institute as a radiotherapist in the 1970s.

Burrows

Burrows Crescent was named after Anne Burrows, born in 1922. An award winning musician, who in 1979 established a foundation to help music students. She received the Order of Canada in 1992.

Burton

Burton Close, Crescent, Loop and Road were named after one of Edmonton's early pilots, Frank Victor Burton (1908-1972).

Butchart

Butchart Drive and Wynd are both named after the Butchart family, specifically Peter E. Butchart, who was born in 1859 and established the Great West Land Company.

Butterworth

Butterworth Drive, Way and Wynd were named after Mary Butterworth. She fought against the school district that required women teachers to stop working after getting married. She served on the Edmonton Public School Board for 12 years from 1945. She died in 1973.